Interview with Patrick Thomson(Acting Lovers)






Patrick Thomson is producer of eurodance band Acting Lovers.

Hello,Patrick

Hi Igor

How do you find yourself in music?

My first contact with music was way back in kindergarten. I was learning playing orchestra bells. In elementary school me and a classmate wanted to learn something different and so we went to musical school for learning keyboards. I did that for 10 years including some classical piano. During this time I already composed some songs, but me and my cousin mostly used songs I’ve learnt in school for our “project”. The “real” music making started in 1997 with some great ideas for a dance project. I still was working with my cousin on our project and we released some CDs and had some gigs. In 2004 I was talking to a very good friend of mine, Jack Summers, about creating a Eurodance project. I think it was because of David Brandes discontinuing E-Rotic. Yeah, and these days I’m working on some new stuff for my German projects and Acting Lovers.

Why Eurodance?

Well, that’s simple. I grew up in the 90s and Eurodance, Dance, Happy Hardcore were the styles I really liked. My first CD was Whigfield’s Saturday Night, followed by E-Rotic’s Max don’t have sex. I always liked the clean, straight and with a lot of heart produced songs from BROS Music (that includes Chris Norman, BBB, etc. as well) and of course I wanted to create something like that, too.

Can you can describe your style?

I won’t deny that E-Rotic and David Brandes’ songs were influencing our stuff, but I would say that we definitively had and still have our own way to create music and stuff. I think we evolved from album to album and on our current album “Fun after Midnight” you can hear modern sounds, mixed with 90s lyrics and sounds. I think it’s important to not ignore the way music goes today, but I really like to go back to the roots sometimes.


In 90s we have too many eurodance groups and releases,but at end of the 90s Eurodance slowly losing popularity.What is reason?

I think there were too many Eurodance projects at the end of the 90s. People simply lost interest in keeping up with it and eventually got tired of the sound. But in other countries like Japan the Eurodance sounds was popular until 2004 and then Hands Up and Trance took over.

After great success of 90s,coming more commercial version of eurodance Hands Up.What you think about that style?

Yeah, Hands Up. I never really liked that kind of music. It sounds cheap with too much bass and too less lyrics. But there are some projects that made nice Hands Up songs.

Where you find inspiration for songs?

That’s an interesting question. Well, some songs contain personal experiences. Sometimes I get inspiration from something someone tells me. Most of the ideas come from certain events or people I talk to. I also get inspired by other Eurodance projects, old 90s CDs and sometimes a songs just comes out by simply playing on the piano.

Acting Lovers and you doing great job,4 studio albums.What is your favourite?

I never thought we would do 4 albums. I am very happy and grateful to have this amazing people around working on Acting Lovers and on album No.5 and something special. Anyway, my favourite Acting Lovers album is Erotic Secrets. It is IMHO the one with the biggest diversity.

Other favourite genres,exept eurodance?

I’m also listening to Rock and Pop, Country, Folk, bands like Meat Loaf, Aerosmith, Roxette. I’m a big fan of Tina Turner and Joachim Witt. Yeah, I have a broad taste of music.

What you think about other new groups and artists?

It’s amazing that so many people keep this great sound of Eurodance alive. And they all do a great job. Just listen to Pulse of the Beat or Free 2 Night. Amazing sound and very talented and gifted musicians.

Thank you,Patrick for this interview.

Thank you and keep up the good work for all Eurodance fans out there.